YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Saturday 4 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER - DAY SIX - CLARK FORK to SANDPOINT, IDAHO, USA


AUGUST 3, 21012
TODAY'S EPISODE- IT'S FRIDAY. THE PLANT CALLED. IF YOU DON'T COME IN TODAY, DON'T BOTHER COMING IN ON MONDAY. WOO HOO!!  FOUR DAY WEEKEND.

START- CLARK FORK, IDAHO
FINISH- SANDPOINT, IDAHO
TODAY- 54kms
TTD- 509kms


View Larger Map

I planned to take it easy today. Even slept in a bit. I pick between EST, MST, PST when it's best to get going. The last three stages have been filled with long and hard rides. Early departures. The uneasiness of what lies ahead. I knew all along that I wanted to spend a night in Sandpoint, and that was only fifty K's away.

As with Kate, there seems to be brief periods where you keep seeing the same people. I meet  and chatted with this guy, checking in, at the store, leaving in the am and waiting in line for construction.
Funny guy. I kept calling him "Dennis". He kept correcting me.


As my room did not have WIFI, I was sitting(they had the cushiest lazy boy that I ever..) in the little lobby last night when a gentlemen walked in and ask me if I had any rooms available. I recognized him right away.
I do have to mention that I found Clark Fork to be a good place to spend the night, but not much more. A little sad place.
Anyway, with laptop in hand, I went to work. He checked in. Name and information please. In a minute I had the whole Wikipedia on Jay Ingram, the recently retired host of Discovery Channel's Daily Planet. I always knew of, but never could get into it. We exchanged stories and my compliments on how much I liked the show. Just in case one day.... His wife looked notable as well.

It's Huckleberry time folks.
Rolling out of CF.




 I was in no rush today. Got the lowdown, lowdown from
stop/go girl. Have you ever seen "My Own Private Idaho" ?

"I'm a connoisseur of roads. I've been tasting roads my whole life. This road will never end. It probably goes all around the world.
I've been tasting roads my whole life."
River Phoenix




Lakeland, playland.

 There is Hope people.

                                                                                   Any house that's got a slide on its roof, ......



Sad, sad sight. Any ski resort without snow.


I haven't got into my usual mass eating grove when I'm the road. On my own, I've been happy to find a little take-out for the room or a table by some gas or convenience store. Here though I picked it up a Paul Bunyan axe notch.
Burger average, onion rings outstanding. Home cut. Plus the must have COKE. No Pepsi!!!
When I was pulling out, a very well dressed lady came running after me. What the hell did I forget?
She explained she's a dentist, left her patient in the chair to let me know she is a member of "Warmshowers.org" Basically touring cyclists, helping touring cyclists through a home stay or a piece of lawn for the night. Thanks anyhow.
This is country that David Thompson passed through. There were people who discovered "Canada". To me, Thompson, created Canada. Through his association with the Hudson Bay Company, this guy did some very serious travelling, charting and mapping of what is now my country. 






 I thought best to inspect the beach. Everything seemed fine.




There is a big music festival in town. Could go see the Barenaked Ladies and Allison Krauss.












COMING SOON: LIKE COWBELLS,  MORE                                            SANDPOINT.

No comments:

Post a Comment