YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Thursday 28 February 2013

NEW ZEALAND, PAUL NEMY - 1979 MIDDLE EARTH, LONG AGO

1979
NORTH ISALND, NEW ZEALAND


In 1979 I travelled to New Zealand in the pursuit of motorsport, outdoor adventure and beer. It’s the beer that perhaps I thank for making this trip as almost like I’ve never been here before.

I do remember, for fun, that it was as late as the early seventy’s here that all pubs closed at 6:00pm.  My travels then brought me to some very small villages. It was a couple of times I remember the local pub being such a fixture of the community. If the proprietor decided he had enough for the night he handed the keys to the soberest patron and only asked to keep the till square and lock up at nights end.

Kate and my tour of the North Island is slowing coming to an end. Having hugged the coast for most of trip resulted in us bypassing both the much hyped tourist regions of the thermal Rotorua and the mildly active volcanic center.

I assume they would look similar to my 1979 trip.






1979
THOSE WERE THE DAYS
HEY EDITH, YA ARCHIE'
WEREN'T THOSE THE DAYS

BOY THE WAY THE BEE GEES PLAYED
MOVIES THAT JOHN TRAVOLTA MADE
GUESSING HOW MUCH ELVIS WEIGHED

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

AND YOU KNEW WHO YOU WERE THEN
WATCHING SHOWS LIKE GENTLE BEN

DISCOE DUCK AND FLEETWOOD MAC
COMING OUT OF MY EIGHT TRACK
MICHEAL JACKSON WAS STILL WAS BLACK

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

No comments:

Post a Comment