YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Tuesday 23 April 2013

PAUL NEMY, MT COOK NATIONAL PARK, NEW ZEALAND, 1978, WHERE'S "HOOKER" AT?

March, 2013

Kate and I were soon to leave the South Island. Our plan was to take a quick flight from Christchurch to Auckland. There we will stage ourselvelves for a couple of nights before are run home (not actually running. Would have if it was only ten kilometers).

Even at my looking back, as evident from the fifty or so blog posts, we've had a hell of a time. Closing in on three weeks, we've have packed in a lot. Sadly though we leave, and possibly an excuse to return, without hitting our last targeted visit, Mt Cook National Park. Home to New Zealand's Southern Alps and some serious mountains and everything that goes along with them.

2013
 Here just plain old running out of time, Kate and I skirt by Mt Cook region in the distance.

1978
 Spent a couple of days hiking up Hooker Valley.

Hermitage Lodge.
 Here looking rather civilized, I believed I spent a night in the lodge. 

 Spent a couple of nights in this, Hooker Hut.
Here I'm lookin' like I could run a 10K footrace. Maybe one day. 
Grand Prix du Canada fashion ware. I remember spending a lazy afternoon in the sun watching and listening to huge chunks of glacier and snowmass falling of the the mountainsides. 


Met this fellow at the Hooker Hut. We travelled together(he bummed a ride from me) for a short week afterwards. He was an American on a semi professional tennis circuit. If I remember correctly, what he lacked in success and stardom on the court he made up for in being a nice and fun guy.
 In a good way, I recall his USA bravado swagger.
Where's a car with a sun roof when you really need it.


NOT UP NEXT: WHAT'S UP WITH FLAVOURED POPCORN? RESURFACINING YOUR DRIVEWAY. NEW SEALANT.


No comments:

Post a Comment