YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Wednesday 7 August 2019

ALEC PURDY. FERRET INDUSTRIES. PART 23/39 . NELSON LEDGES, OHIO. USA. JUNE 1977


I post here my tribute and salute to the late Alec Purdy, along with many mentions of the Ferret Industries family.

With this collection of thirty nine posts on my blog, “going over niagara paul’s’, I attempt to share some of mine as well as those of other media memories. Ranging from personal photographs and notes, including from the albums of my brother John, to materials reprinted (“without permission”sorry), from various motorsport journals thru the years 1973 to 1983.

Along with my archive of photos, all the articles posted pertain to something “Alec “ or of the Ferret family by my best account and accuracy. Ranging  from the race-grounds of the most notable Ferret Formula Fords to the little known “De Flater mouse”. Ranging from Fred and his wonderful family, including a rather young Tim, to an prodigious community of people associated with this amazing ground up endeavour. An endearing collection of gifted and committed individuals common to a passion and vision.
……….continued below

Of this “Made in Canada”, I’ve made brief personal notes ( been piecing, and was hoping to write more, this together since Alec’s passing in 2015. Thought I better cut this loose and let it fly before I….???)  to the best of my recollection. My apologies for not acknowledging all who may appear. Some images merely draw blanks. Many images bring me back to a very special time of my life. Many I hope will trigger your personal  memories that with hopefully lead to additional notes and anecdotes.

Our endearing friendship blossomed from my hobby of campaigning a Lotus 61. The initial introduction to Hanover ON, and the works factory, originated through my brother John’s Lotus 61, and Alec’s endearing connection and development of the same. As you will view, John later became an adoptive son of the Ferret family though his successful running of an MK4.  

Never, nor did I ever hope to reach the extremely competitive end of what was going on those days of Formula 100/Fords. Most of the articles posted will attest to that. I’m glad that in my sojourn I didn’t have much on track interaction with the helmet “on” Alec.  
Helmet “off” Alec made it easy for me, and I believe for most, a great enjoyment to be in Alec’s company for his unassuming amiable ways.
From having Alec tag along for my very first rookie run at the now long gone Waterford Hills, Michigan to a couple “road and/or race” trips to Road Atlanta and the The Runoffs. Here as in many instances I blankly marvelled from behind at his modest mannerisms regarding design and engineering exchanges at the pinnacle of amateur racing in North America. (One in particular with Fred Opert. Great fun. Fun it was.)  

My blog is mostly a personal journal of a collection of goings and goings. No different than most anything else I post, I’m proud to share this portion of my life and those who were part of it.

Perhaps not as much then, but at this point in life , Alec Purdy has proven to me that a man gifted with exceptional brilliance in design, engineering and competitive fortitude can also carry in life genuine sincerity, humbleness and humour.

I submit this patchwork of posts with truthful respect. I surrender my customary can of Coca-Cola and today bestow a Pepsi-Cola salute to the legacy that is Ferret Industries and Alec Purdy.

You’ve now found your way here so please enjoy more. By  hitting the “newer” or “older” tabs to continue a chronological journey that was Alec Purdy and more. Hopefully you will find all thirty nine posts that run from 1973 to 1983. If you see fitting, I mostly ask that you somehow share these Canadian motorsport memories in any way you may deem fit.


Thank you for your interest.














No comments:

Post a Comment