YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Wednesday 9 May 2012

ONTARIO TRACK 3 SKI ASSOCIATION


JANUARY 2012
HELPING YOU, HELPING ME.

Early winter I joined Ontario Track3www.track3.org. An association that for close to forty years has been teaching physically and mentally challenged children and youth to ski, snowboard and most importantly, have fun on snow.

After a weekend of instruction in Collingwood, I was deemed worthy of the task presented.  There were about 25 of us newbies, far short of what the association needs. There are over three hundred kids enrolled in the program and another two hundred on the waiting list for lack of instructors.

My program involved that every Thursday night in January and February I skied at Glen Eden in Milton. There I assisted and almost immediately was joined with my own student, Kennedy.  The program focuses on a person’s abilities rather than their challenges.  Track3 has their own little trailer at the resort. Picture my first and most every hour before we hit the slopes. A room filled with about a dozen kids with various levels of mental and physical problems, yelling, questioning and arguing, a dozen caregivers, prodding, provoking and pleading their charges to put left boots on left feet, you DO need mitts! NO helmet, NO snowboarding (I still can’t believe what some of the instructors did to get some of these kids up on snowboards) and on and on, and then us instructors trying to assist, keep peace and ourselves out of harms way. Then by some small miracle, the room emptied and everyone was at varying degrees on the hill.

Kennedy is a fourteen-year-old autistic girl. After some introduction through the association and her mother, we became quite comfortable with each other. She was a willing learner and quick with a puzzling smile, though we did talked a lot. How much we both understood was never an issue. I more than once reassured Kennedy (though I lied a little) that she had kept my record, of only meeting nice people skiing, in tack.

I never once lost sight, though I tried to explain, how helping her was helping me.  In many ways.  In being a friend.

One excitement for me, after trying to impress with my lists of skiing achiements, was a new to me way of getting up the hill.  

Well, you don't know what
We can find
Why don't you come with me little girl
On a magic carpet ride




This season I did a lot of skiing like I drive my rental cars. Backwards. Saves on mileage charge.
I wonder if Temple Grandin skis?



End of season Bash!

A man with heart. Brad. Thursday night organizer.



Slip, Sliddin away

No comments:

Post a Comment