YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Sunday 7 October 2012

PAUL NEMY - THAT'S MY CREED, AND THAT'S MY CODE


Someone painted "April Fools" in BIG black letters on a "Dead End" sign.

Today on October 7,2012 I write about my cycling journey that I completed on August 23rd, 2012. That day I rode off the ferry from Denman Island and ended at my brother John and Carol’s place on Hornby Island, British Columbia. Roughly some 1,600 kilometers and three weeks since St Mary, Montana.

My bicycle has been good to me. I have arrived safe and well. My stories and photos only confirm what an amazing trip I just had. I am glad that I have been able to take some of you for a ride.

As much as I was glad and looking forward to visiting John and Carol and exploring Hornby, it is always a little sad to me that such a journey will end. A journey where the destinations most of the time didn’t seem as important as how I got there.

In my travelling these days I have become less interested in researching and learning about my days ahead on the road. I find myself being drawn into worlds of over ambitious attempts to teach and tell me how things are or should be. I am wanting to learn from my own ride down the road. I want to look beyond my visual experiences and call upon my other senses to jump in.
I have met some Tourists that I’m sure don’t know where they have been. Till I get there, I want to be a traveller that doesn’t know what I will find till I get to where I’m going.
I just want to drop by to see what condition my condition was in. I just want to know the meaning of why are there so many espresso shacks. To meet people who are more than just stories in a travel log. People who have no better sense of themselves relative to my brief ride by.
It’s on my bike going at human-speed that my curiosity and creativity are brought forward.

The bicycle has lead me to places and situations where familiarity is not an option. Most days at home I know what’s at the end of the road. These past days not.

I have traveled alone but I was never by myself. I looked after myself but I had a lot of help. My bus had many seats. I met and will remember many faces. I am compelled to write and post so one day I will look back and smile as I had for most of this trip. But I also post as I believe that all good (and unfortunate) things in life are best shared. As I am able to have the comfort of knowing the loved and loveable people in my life were behind, beside and ahead of my bike and me.


It’s family and friends
Loving yourself
But not only yourself
It’s about the good ride
And the hard ride

It’s been a beautiful ride.


Oh by the way, I do need help. Can someone tell me if it’s possible to sleep with a smile on my face? 

No comments:

Post a Comment