YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Friday 8 March 2013

NEW ZEALAND, RIGHT HAND DRIVE, LIFE on the LEFT HANDED HIGHWAY

At that rate that we are going, we probably will hit 4,000kms on our little Nissan's clicker. Good in my books by getting somewhere in Canada, let lone this generally small country. 

Here things zag before they zig. There have been MANY Z&Z's

Any road were the grass grows up to the tarmac I love. As many kilometers are like this, feels like you are some endless journey in a beautiful park. Which in a sense this country is.



We have passed over an endless number of one lane bridges and passages. Considering we have been
travelling the main roads, it still takes a bit getting use to coming from a country with two lanes and MORE highways. 



Surprisingly few waits.

I always take notice of the touring cyclist. We have seen quite a few but I am not so envious. Few, if any, roads have a decent shoulder to ride on. Most times the cyclist is full time part of the traffic. 

The thing I like about one lane bridges is that don't to worry if I'm on the correct side of the road, just the correct side of the railing.




Nissan Something


Was my 1988 Saab 900 Turbo.

Almost right from the go get, I have become quite comfortable with right hand drive. The moderate pace of traffic combined with generally courteous drivers makes life on the highway tolerable.

Surprisingly I have become a big fan of round abouts. With this country's pace of driving they seem to work extremely well. It was only after a couple of days that I realized there are virtually no stop signs. The odd intersection requires the yielding of the right of way.

oh oh
The heat is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment