YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Monday 30 July 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER, ST MARY, MONTANA - DAY- SOON TO PART

JULY 28, 2012
ST. MARY, MONTANA, U.S.A.

Kate and I are now finishing our trip together. We had wonderful time. Quite amazed at what you can see in ten days. It's so nice that we are very much in sync. We maybe didn't camp as much as planned, but under the circumstances of grizzlies and the heat, our lodging served us well. 

Now the day before I leave, I ponder the following:
* It was only the day before my True North went awal that I put it in full touring trim. After deciding not to shake it down to Toronto with full panniers (better idea now), I was planning to do it shortly there after. Basically never rode my New bike tricked out for touring.
* With less than two weeks before we left, and determined to still do my tour, the scramble for a replacement ride went as well as I could of hoped. More on my newest new Fuji later. I'm good with "Run what I brung"Again the time limit resulted in having gathered all the pieces together, but not riding the bike as a whole.
* When I pack for skiing, I know what I can ram in what bag. I've never packed my panniers before. Will it all fit? Trying to remember, heavy stuff up front, ...........
* So here I stand, a day before I leave on a month cycle tour and: I've never ridin a bike with panniers, let alone loaded panniers, let alone what seems like overloaded panniers.
* I rode a lot in late winter and spring, but due to some diversions, not much May till now. Was going to Ride myself into shape. Will see how that works.
* The weather has been, and looks like continuing to be,  hot like hell.

Oh yea, one more thing.

* The first day of my tour could possibly be my most epic. Behind our motel, the Great Plains begin, out front, the Continental Divide. Virtually from our motel door, a thirty kilometer, 2,500ft elevation gain ride up.  

SWEET DREAMS WERE NOT MADE OF THIS.

I have to thank Kate for all of her support.



It's not that i wanted to sleep with my ride, but I have become a little edgy as far as leaving my newest
ride locked up even out front of our room.
This town did not have much, and if it did, both of our first choice would be a taqueria. Specially if it's run by Mexicans. It's a toss up if we travel to see the sites or eat. One of the best meals we just had was in Red Lodge, Montana. A road side bus converted to a cantina. We ate "la cancion es buena"  



AND NOW I TRAVEL.

And the earth becomes my throne
I adapt to the unknown
Under wandering stars I've grown
By myself but not alone
I ask no one

You know a dream is like a river 
Ever changin' as it flows 
And a dreamer's just a vessel 
That must follow where it goes





For best viewing, click "NiagaraPauls". 

No comments:

Post a Comment