YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Wednesday 14 December 2016

There been some bad and unfortunate things that have happened in my life but thankfully few of any significance. Some grander ones have set me on a grander life path. Many are unmemorable but still possibly have ultimately been learning experiences. Teachings through self inflicted error and misjudgement

Though only touching two weeks, Kate and I have been travelling comfortably in pretty much all aspects of a completely new Continent, Countries and Culture. Even a rather high language barrier has only added to our like of this adventure.

Our travels from Santiago to Valparaiso by bus was more than comfortable. After a slight error in where we disembarked, we took our AirB&B’s host’s suggestion that a taxi transfer from the heart of town to the apartment would be the simplest solution to the convoluted labyrinth maze of an old town new to visitors.

Upon showing our taxi driver the address of our destination, he was not impressed and quite concerned for our well being if it was as perceived. MUCHO DANGEROUS! Even tough that misconceived district was within the famous UNESCO jurisdiction of Valpo, happily for all, it was a misread and we were soon at our apartment, being and feeling safe.

Much touted as a way to discover the town, there are noted and highly recommended guided walking tours. Kate and were in. Without much thought, as we had absolutely no reason to doubt any part of the walk, we did pass through this questionable barrio with our guide, though recommending that by day it is a place of somewhat suspect characters, at night there is no question of suspect characters and DO NOT ENTER. With noted respect, Kate and I liked the area, busy street fare and market, mindfully so it seemed a good place to grab some lunch and some groceries on our route home.

I travel, sadly at certain times, as not the most friendliest, with the notion of try to like everyone, but trust no one. I do sometimes perceive myself as border rude. Self preservation. Wallet, passport,….. preservation. Keep my cards close to my chest. No when to hold them, no when to found them. keep everything not on the back, but the front burner. Try to predict the unpredictable. Most of all I try to avoid creating opportunities. Opportunities of unwarranted grief.

So then after all these notes from a travelling man posing as a wise man, as we were grabbing some lunch and buying said groceries, as fast as someone would unsuspect it,
THE STARK REALISATION, 
I was a victim of a 
pick pocket
I knew immediately as a hand was forced into my pocket and then in the next milli second someone was running. Somewhat also of a surprise to me, it being broad mid daylight, I started to pursue. I also started to scream. Initially I wasn’t sure what he took. Wallet or camera?. Kate and I were just paying for some goods.(Often confusing in itself as no English is spoken and any amounts past anything three are a jumble of senseless meaning) It all happened so quickly that I really didn’t rationalise my reaction but I started chasing and screaming. Now here I was in broad daylight chasing some hoodlum through some narrow passages in Valpaariso that is renowned for its hills, here well planned by the scoundrel, as a deterrent we were going up. 

Supposedly, anybody from this neighbourhood, which I’m sure was everybody, knew what was happening. My screaming had certainly brought attention to the situation. The gringo in chase of some desperate soul trying to survive by ill gotten ways. I’m now closing in on the desperado but far from figuring out what will happen if i do catch up. After passing what seemed like a myriad of on lookers and bystanders that probably didn’t want to get involved, my screaming had brought some attention up the street. To my good and forever thankful fortune, some good souls in a bad part of town, grabbed him, yanked my camera from his hand and then as quickly as they apprehend him they released him and he was gone.

I to came to halt as these good Samaritans approached me. As they returned my camera, beyond my expression of gratitude, there was little exchange of words as they seemingly knew more than well what happened, and I seemingly knew what shouldn’t of happened.

As all of this took place as Kate and I were purchasing some vegetables from a street vendor, I returned to the scene of the crime and pumpkin squash, paid the nice lady who expressed her concern for my well being and offered apologies for the local state of affairs.  

In retrospect, It has been said a million times that some things and concurrent reactions happen so quickly that after ward one would have done things differently. Sometimes differently for the better outcome. Sometimes for the worse. Again it was only a camera, perhaps it could have been my wallet but like every thing all replaceable. Heroes and empty heroics have sometimes pretty shitty endings. I have my queen of my dreams so for what could have been lurking around the next corner it probably wasn’t worth it. On top of all that i was hoarse all next day.

Well, what is done is done. Am I better person for it, no. Am I a better traveller, not worth the price, but yes.




I’ll soon write of an even greater crime. On the same continent as the one country most synonymous with one of the worlds most famous beverages, Peru and now Chile’s culture of coffee is instant. 
A true crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment