YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Wednesday 21 August 2013

SMALLWOOD RESERVOIR, NL - THE WILD EAST - DAM YOU JOEY!

Kate and I now will now end our ninth day on the road, but first we need to find a camp spot.
Commercial campgrounds are few and far between and anyhow we would would prefer just staking our own camp claim. The remoteness of the area lends to unencumbered pickins'. The vastness leaves lots of "public" space. We have seen few, if any, policing type authority. The locals seem to almost welcome you by a wave or hello if your within sight. 
(Popular camp/RV/resting spots are the seemingly endless roadside gravel pits left over from the construction of the road and anything else


Our luck tonight saw us turn off on a side road were we stumbled upon a small part of the Smallwood Reservoir. The product of damming the Churchill river and creating one of the largest Hydro electric projects in the world. (more tomorrow). The reservoir has become the tenth largest lake in Canada.


 Looks like Salmon night on the hood of the Chez Cunard.
(I wanted to cook supper on the exhaust header as we drove here)


 Table for two without the table.

 Captain Grey Power Highliner.
There's fish in them there boats boots.

Anybody feel like singing.
Brief interlude.

There was something in the air that night 
The stars were bright, fernando 
They were shining there for you and me 
For liberty, fernando 
Though I never thought that we could lose 
There's no regret 
If I had to do the same again 
I would, my friend, fernando 
Yes, if I had to do the same again 
I would, my friend, fernando...


 Our camp down yonder dam.


IT'S THE IRRELEVANT SHOT.

I took a couple of rocks for souvenirs but it started to leak so I put them back.

 Amazing evening apres dinner walk. We have been enjoying warm days. The setting sun brings a refreshing cooling. Best sleeping in a tent weather ever.



Locking up the Goose. 

View as we snuggled into our sleeping bags.
Priceless. Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment