YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Monday 3 October 2016

I AM GOING ON A BIKE RIDE.

October 3, 2016

EDITORS NOTE: This is a rebroadcast of a previous post to lead off a little journal of the noted. Thank you for your little interest.


August 22, 2016


I occasionally get an insane calling to be where I’m not. Add to that a growing fear that with the world closing in on driverless cars that I’m sure will lead to self riderless bikes, I’m soon off, with bike, to where I’m not.

I am going on a bike ride.

As a young man, one of my first trips aboard was to the country of Morocco.
There I listened, learned and benefitted from a local Arabian saying that loosely translates to:
“pick your companions before you pick your road”

Like many times in my life, I will start my travels with not one but a couple of compasses. Direction I need. Compasses that I’ve and we together have shared many turns and travels.

The one last year cycled across Canada. Can’t go wrong sharing a wheel with a  “crazygalonbike”.  

Most anyone can be taught to ride a bike. Most anyone can sit on a saddle at the bottom of a mountain and wonder how they will get to the top, if possible at all. That you can’t teach. My other companion compass will also wonder , but with her will , will get to the top.
With the heart and grace to defy a greater risk for a greater reward and perhaps a mountaintop meal.

For two weeks, Hyla, Nicola and I will pick up Adventure Cycling Association’s Mexico to Canada Sierra Cascade route just north east of Los Angeles. California, USA.  Cycle through the national parks of Sierra, Kings Canyon and Yosemite on route to Lake Tahoe. There Nicola will set her compass for home and school.
Hyla and I plan on continuing for another three weeks, destination Portland Oregon. USA.

With our travels along, on top and below one of the greatest spines of North America, hoping to write more than one upcoming story that I’m over the hill.




Give or take a couple of wildfire detours, our week one and below week two.




A beautiful ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment