YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Sunday 6 August 2017

GOVERNMENT CAMP TO MADRAS, OREGON. U.S.A. A VOLCANIC TEMPERMENT










August 1

Some historic military strategies had you just advance directly into the heart and heat of battle. 
Into the fire.




From Government Camp, including my intended mountain routing, there was no place, not even higher, that I could head to get out of an imposing heat wave.

Throw in some ever-growing wayward forest fires,
I'll be going into the Battle of the Heat.

As much as I enjoy a good mountain campground, I figure my only salvation in the general direction I need to be heading will be a small room with big AC.

With the closet such scenario over 100k's away in the town of Madras, on a day that it is forecasted to hit 100f, I've PACKED UP(I will find no services for the first 75K's) early and headed out not really knowing how far I'll actually get.





Like many rides, 
I lose and find myself I don't know how many times over.

Going straight ahead while I look back.
Missing my previous years partners.
Wanting to be a High Plains Drafter.

After 75k' I'll drop down this canyon to Warm Springs (Extremely Hot Springs must have been taken)and re-supply. With Madras in striking distance and pitching a tent in the mid day high 30's temp not an overly enticing option, I start climbing out of the canyon.

They say that the best rides are the ones where you bit off more than you can chew and survive it.
Knowing that when I crested the ride out of the canyon that I'll be on my way to Madras. 
Getting up and out was my "Monitor Pass" of this trip(hopefully)

A very serious test.

I'm on an up cycle

Even my eight hour i tune and pod cast journey was a meltdown. 
I don't know what the phone's tolerance is but my 98.6 normal temp was seriously threatened.

Fortunately my last 15K's was slightly heat wind assisted on the Oregon plains.

On the matter of Madras, Oregon is expecting over one million visitors for the upcoming solar eclipse. 



I ride for the adventure
I ride for the challenge.

Today Madras was the greatest place I've ever been.






This week: I can Ride. I can hide on the ring of fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment