YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Thursday 3 August 2017

PORTLAND TO GOVERNMENT CAMP, MT HOOD,.U.S.A. ON MY OREGON TRAIL


Not that I'm giving up on becoming one with the universe.
Its just that at the moment I'm good to become one with my bike.

July 27th+, 2017

Bike in a box.......I hope.


 With pretty much my whole personal world for a month hopefully is in this box......
....always a brief sigh when the pieces are back together and only a few              "last minute"  "what did I forget" items left to grab. 
Kate found me a lucky charm on the streets of Toronto. 
Gettn' me a Power Ball ticket to!


Let it Ride!
 As I leave Portland, on the horizon is Mt Hood, my first objective.
Before I leave I do have to mention that for the little riding that I did in the city, there wasn't anywhere that I went that didn't have a designated bicycle lane.
It also seems mandated that that at each intersection there shall be a brewpub, food truck, coffee shop,...

 Even with Portland a distance from the coast, it sits pretty much at sea level.
With Government Camp @4,000 ft I'll pace my first couple of days.
(With Island living and cottage constructing, pretty much have NOT been on a bike at all this year)

mountain biking man

Hanging around Government Camp area for a couple of days.
Enjoy this cool place.


Further UP the road lies The Timberline Lodge and U.S.A.'s only year round snow ski area.
At this time it is actually hosting the USA ski team as they line up training in advance of the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Down the ski hill Olympians


Though I believe it was shot overseas, the premise was that The Shining took place in the Timberline Lodge.



Had me wondering?
It wasn't six months ago that Kate and I were @ Portillo, Chile. 
Being in the depths of their winter, current respective conditions for skiing seem better on Mt Hood.



The locals.
Morning.

Afternoon.


My tentative itinerary for the month. 
Before I left I was resigned that when I rendezvous with Carol and John close to the 21st for the eclipse I'll be in some hot weather.
But what I was not ready for is the news that a local 
"RECORD BREAKING"
heat wave is on the door/Oregon/mountain step!!
Was planning on heading in the general direction next?




Headin' to a Sierra sizzler.

No comments:

Post a Comment