YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Sunday 14 September 2014

SICAMOUS TWO

Here I'll finish up day eighteen by riding to and camping slightly beyond Sicamous, British Columbia.
In the previous post I refereed to it as the Houseboat Capital of BC or Canada or wherever.
I haven't and won't verify it, and don't hold me to it, but I guess the claim is,.... ready....
Houseboat capital of the WORLD
Bet you can't wait to see some pictures now.

But first I got to get there.
Don't get lost now!

 It has been a continuous interest of anything lumber and logging during my travels.
With our family business past and just my love of :
The Wonderful World of Wood

 One such thing that has me looking back at some lumber mill visits in the long ago past is this now alternate use, "Burner"
Lumber mills in the past used to dispose of all the waste by burning it.

 Impossible to capture the complete layout, but during my visit to the railroad museum in Revelstoke, a local model railroad club had a set-up that I'm sure would have taken an hour to pick all the details and intricacies. Incorporated was a replica of the mill in Revelstoke from days past, burner and all.



These next set of photos are pulled from our '62 trip. My guess is here we are pulling into Revelstoke, mill, burner and all on the lake side.


Much worthy of  a separate post of this for more than one reason, but here we are at the mill visiting.
That one old growth log I'm sure was wider in diameter than I was tall.

TIMBER!!!
I'm not sure if that's mom and maybe dad behind the man from plaid, but definitely John and I at a actual logging operation.
Real life size TinkerToys

OK, lets get back on track. 

Here we are.
OH. Not only the Houseboat capital thing but also Gateway....

When you are the largest at something, the harder it is for me to capture on image the magnitude.
There were big and not to many small houseboats coming, going, ready to go,.....everywhere.
There were small convoys of golf carts pulling trailer trains of carts full of one's one week worldly possessions to and fro the docks. 
Most parties looked like they didn't  leave anything behind by the looks of the piles of gear.
Just take my word for it or go see yourself.



Lots of all type of watersports.

The lake has a interesting configuration that would warrant some on water exploring.
You would better see if I attached a map but I won't.
Go see it yourself

The town had a vacation, resort destination feel to it.
Here if you felt like living and staying in one spot for a while you cand reside in the loft above.
Feel like hittin' the road. Back out your RV bus below and roll.
No kiddin'

These garages are for your home with a motor.
Probably larger living space than you have above..

Having enough excitement and closeing in on 100kms today, I left Sicamous and found this little Trans Canada side park to spend the night.

Trans Canada across and below.

Osprey family across and above.

Houseboat gang down and beyond.


I'll still find some quiuet to catch up on my reading:

"Gandhi II: Makeout Summer"

No comments:

Post a Comment