YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Sunday 10 August 2014

COLUMBIA ICEFIELDS

DAY 5 - AUGUST 5, 2014

Made it to the Icefields not only in the heat of the day but also in the middle of tourist mayhem.
All the parking lots were full with every imaginable source of transportation (land) one can think of..
Many fun and interesting to see.

I'll spend the afternoon setting up camp at a beautiful tent only campground just down the road and then hide in a corner of the visitors centre till both the hot sun and visitors recede.

This is very much a day destination spot. Other than guests of the on site lodge and some late day travellers, I spent the quiet evening wondering about, trying not to fall into a crevasse.(though in the heat of the day.......)





To the right is the main attraction, the Athabasca Glacier. Only a tiny portion of the hidden massive snow cap that is truly the Columbia Icefields.



This site at the tent only campground has been my favourite so far. Just to the right was a beautiful creek in full song with the warm weather.


Visitors centre and Lodge. 
One of my planned meal plans as I fined dined, $13.50 cafeteria style on the deck with a million dollar view.


Being where I was it did seem a bit strange that during the day the temps probably hit near 30C.
a little different than my most recent trip here.
During Hyla and mine ski trip to Jasper in 2002, we came here only see why this place is covered with snow and ice.

2002
 On arrival it seemed the the glacier(s) were trying to cross the road.
We'd be better off to get the skis out.

2002
Our "All Season" rental tires were barley about to handle our "180" as we left before we became entombed and not found till some  Japanese shutterbug whenever.
SMILE!

 I quietly watched a maintenance man locking up this old Bombardier snow cat used once to transport guests on the glacier. I mentioned that I possibly rode in this unit during a visit in 1962.
(A look back to sixty two soon)
His interested reply was "no chance" as this one didn't start service till "68

Today modern snow buses tour the glacier, which I watched from a distance.


 Heading back to camp.

In the trees I will spend the night.
Things didn't remain as calm as they look.
 During the night one of the most explosive electrical storms I've ever experienced rolled through.
Though the campsite location seemed safe, with the rarefied air, here I'm almost at 6,000ft, and the compounding effect of the deep valley, with the booming cannon blasts I layed awake reading one word at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment