YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Saturday 16 August 2014

BANFF - BOW VALLEY PARKWAY

FRIDAY, AUGUST and DAY 8, 2014

After waking this morning, slowly realising the barking all night was unfortunately not a dream, I packed and loaded in a flash.
The fresh mountain air and earthen smells our like no other, but this morning they offered a hope I am not carrying some strain of the Australian Tourist flu.

I set my moral compass and wished him good health and ran and then rolled.

 I could not have ordered nicer weather for my first week.
Today's forecast is for rain and then clearing. Alls well as I've decided to head east, visit Banff and Canmore and then return to Lake Louise and continue west.

Having arranged hostel accommodations in Banff and a room in Canmore (big excitement. Heard I'm missing "Autopsy Wars" and  "Toddlers and Tarantulas" marathons)(Sleep Easy Sleazy Motel), 
I'm leaving my "home" here in Lake Louise and travelling a little lighter and simpler.

 I generally don't mind the mass tourist and travelling crowd.
But after my dose in Jasper, I was seriously considering to skip my little eastern leg. The one lady cycle tour organiser that befriended me said I would miss out on one of the more beautiful rides in the Rockies, The Bow Valley Parkway.
I''l be the judge of that and on top of it all, cheap rooms in Lake Louise and Banff are non existent.
Bagged a deal in Canmore.  I like my tent, but need some personal motel space and time and shower.

Even with the rain heavy at times, knowing I had some dry digs ahead I enjoyed the 55 or so km ride.

The parkway, the 1A,  is the original link between the two famous towns. Now the Trans Canada takes  the heavy traffic leaving only a slower vacationers flow of all sorts.

Where are you going?




Taking a look back at traffic.

It is a beautiful ride.



Today if one goes to Banff it's pretty much for only a couple of reason.
See, be seen, get some fudge, have your picture taken, get more fudge,maybe the School of Fine Arts,...
During WW1, if you were not deemed a friend of the government you got a ticket to Banff but didn't have to worry about bringing your skis, Chateau apres dinner wear, camera....

I didn't stay but checked out a hostel on the Icefield Parkway that once acted as a Japanese internment camp from WW2.


My True North. 
Thanks Hugh! Love my bike.
Love my "Brooks"
A special up and close look soon.

Castle Junction coffee break. 
There sure are times when crappy coffee tastes good and stale Danishes hit the spot!

Smile
These people can go home and say they were at Castle Junction





Bow River.
Already seeing remnants along the mountain sides of the results from the devastating floods that lower in the valley washed out parts of Calgary and more last year.



Sources thermales would be good.

Banff.
I'm going to play tourist here. My first pass down crowded Banff Ave saw a punch up right in front of the MacDonalds.

That reminds me. I'm hungry. 
Before I go and organise my hostel stay I"m into a burger.

WHERE'S THE ALBERTA BEEF?

I think it was at Eddies.
During the life and times of this cycle tourist, I have not been lacking decent and ample food, but after a run of Macs Milks, pannier surprises, I'll have the no. 4 with fries, no, make that onion rings, no I wasn't on pump # 8, Im gonna have..., power bars of all makes and models, this basket of goodness shot to the top of my personal, 

U gotta not only use the washroom, but actually eat here.

That's right. Pretzel bun. 
 4-1/2 patties out of 5.
4 fries out of 5

I'm taking advantage of my riding with "cred"
Seeing my bike, my waiter dude was into my travels. 

Bottomless Coke!!!


Please come back - Brighter Banff ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment