YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Saturday 16 August 2014

LAKE LOUISE, ALBERTA

Day 7
Thursday, August 7, 2014

Waterfowl Lake Campground to Lake Louise


I'm finding that I'm attentive to my cycle computer for distances to landmarks and my noted targets but by the end of the day I don't measure my success in Kilometres travelled. Not having a device to measure elevation gained and lost, it's these numbers etched in my thighs I regard as quantity as opposed to lets say today's modest 50kms plus I will cover.

For today I will climb the Bow Pass. Highest in elevation of my trip.


"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep"
Robert  Frost

I rolled out of the camp around 07:00hrs and almost right away met Anna from Germany.
Her travels in western Canada have included trains, planes and automobiles and coastal ferries and here on bike from Jasper.
At our own rhythm, we yoyo'ed to the summit and beyond.
(my climbing preference is to suffer in anonymity and silence.
My conversations going up hill are generally limited to "sorry................. can't................. talk............... right................. now" )







I have vowed at this point in my life that my travels, even with Kate, will be with adventure and challenge
Got my challenge part getting here today.
I'm riding up hills I rarely see on my True North bike which I ride only for specific occasions.
On top of all this, for me, I'm crazy loaded. Full details later

Though I shall never complain, 
(or not let it be heard), 
about pain I bring upon myself

 This profile's lowest dip is The Crossing.  Waterfowl Lake campground is probably somewhere around the 30k mark. Bow Summit, 6787ft,  thereafter.

Glad with what comes next:

You can't have one without the other,
You can't judge a book by looking at it's cover,

Listen here:

You can't judge the honey by looking at the bees,
You can't judge the apples by looking at the trees,
You can't judge one by looking at the other,
You can't judge a book by looking at it's cover.



I have seen limited wildlife, but today on a decent I nearly clipped a bear cub that was having breakfast in a fruit bearing shrub right up to the shoulder. It startled me as much as the cub. Here or anywhere when it come to cubs I rolled for a distance before stopping.
Was not in the mood or shape for some sprint workout if mom was around.
It was the third bear I've come across. Maybe better none were up and close photo ops.

This bicycle touring company, I believe from Denver, and clients from across USA, have been one of three I've come across on the parkway. Just as this outfit, they offered  Anna and I most anything we might need. I had a banana.
(I've been shopping more at gas stations and bakeries than the health food stores)
Had one tour organiser stop specifically for me to check if I needed anything. Thank you.
These riders were supported and riding road bikes travelling lodge to lodge.
The package that I studied worked out to about $2,500.00 for 5 days of pain and pleasure.

The guy that Anna is talking to was 150 yrs old.



Columbia Icefields Parkway. Done that!
here at Canada's no.1 I will head east to Lake Louise, Banff and maybe Canmore.
Then go west young man to Yoho, Field and Golden.


Somebody wrote this:

The Icefield Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper is surely the most stunning cycling route in Canada and certainly among the best on the whole continent. Bikecentennial selected it for the U.S. organization's first international bike route.... The parkway is such a varied route. Something new appears every few kilometers: turquoise-colored lakes, castellated mountains and snow-capped summits, glacial valleys, waterfalls, wildlife, and tumbling rivers. More than 100 glaciers are visible from the highway.... Few other places provide such a close and varied glimpse of wildlife: mule deer, elk, mountain goats, bighorn sheep, coyote, bear, osprey, herons, beaver, muskrat, chipmunks.... Since the cyclist sees and feels more than the motorist, the route is rewarding even if you've driven it many times.... Seventeen campgrounds are located along the route between Banff and Jasper. Eight hostels are conveniently spaced for cyclists, plus five privately-operated hotels, inns or sets of cabins, not counting [accommodation in] Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper.



Here I will check in to the local Hostel. The word is it's the best, and only, deal in town.

was going to stay at the chateau but when i got there it looked like they turned it into a prison.
saw lots of people wearing orange, and purple and rose and mauve and cardigans in 30c temps.





The hostel in general was excellent. With availability of both dorm and private rooms, the clientele was wide and  varied. Young and old, clean and well dressed, and many that looked like they have either been on the road or in the mountains for a while. Or on their bike.

One of my goals when I tour is to try not to look completely homeless and scare young children at vista pullouts.

Here I shaved.

No fault of the hostel but my shared four bed dorm room included a medically sick Australian.
With these shared accommodations I'm good to keep busy exploring most anywhere and then just hit the room to read for five and sleep.
But to listen to some guy gag, with an accent, all night leaves one saying a extra pray to Web.MD.com

Took someones advice that the Hostel's Bill Peyto's cafe was the place to grab a burger.

If one wanted, and many did, the hostel's amenities offered lots.


Exploring LL.
 Having been here a number of times, it's all new to me without my previous requisite of 10ft of snow.





2001 AD






1 comment:

  1. Lovely sharing Paul! I have an experience to visit the Lake Louise during my Canadian side Niagara Falls tour. It was a great fun for me to visit its attractive routs and enjoy fishing at the lake. Lake Louise is one of the amazing attractions of Canada. It is well-known for its shining blue waters. It is the center of attraction for about 1.5 million visitors each year. You are right! Icefields Parkway is an amazing cycling route located between Lake Louise and Jasper. It offers great opportunities to see lakes, mountains, view points, waterfalls and wildlife.
    Now I am planning to visit the USA side of Niagara Falls with new york and niagara tours. Paul! Do you have any recommendation for me regarding things to do there?

    ReplyDelete