YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Wednesday 13 August 2014

SASKATCHEWAN CROSSING

Wednesday, August 6, 2014


Today I'll start my day by breaking Camp Columbia. Right out of the blocks I'll summit Sunwhapta Pass(2035m) and then for almost forty kilometres roll down to The Crossing, of the Saskatchewan River, for some lunch and re-supply for my last night on the parkway.


View Columbia Icefields to Saskatchewan Crossing in a larger map


Guess, when it does, which way the wind blows in this part of the country



Hey, wait a niagara minute.
http://cowbird.com/x5lbz
Doesn't the weather look nice?

 With such a dramatic descent for over 40k's I won't write too much other than I'm glad I'm not going the other way. What compounds the difficulty is there are no services, including potable water (I do have supplies to make my own), for the distance.
Here at Parker Ridge I'll be hitting the road below before I know it, but first...........

 ...... looks like a good breakfast stop. 
Didn't bring the toaster but got the PopTarts and more importantly, StarBucks instant. 
With the temps already on the rise, I'm good with cool coffee.
Considering where I am,  ICEfield COFFEE.

 Nice sweeper.ahead. 
When I put so much time and EFFORT to climb some of these passes, I'm quite good with just spinning and coasting down and enjoying the scenery.

 This is avalanche country.
If you find a warhead.....


 Anytime I'm going the same direction as any moving water I'm happy.
Here in parts of the valley, I'm very happy.

 Well into my descent, I didn't have the heart to tell this guy, going the other way, what lies ahead for him.
There are primitive hostels dotting the parkway. His target for the night was up the hill.
A LONG WAY UP THE HILL.

The Blogger. Your e-nemy.


I now will soon be at the X-ing. Have some lunch, grab some supplies and then pay for my good time decent with a rather punchy, on-again off-again 20k ride UP to camp.

Do you have the time to listen to me whine?











No comments:

Post a Comment