YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Tuesday 7 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER - BOX CANYON, IONE WA., DAY EIGHT - SKOOKUM CAMPGROUND to BOX CANYON, WA.


AUGUST 5, 2012
TODAY'S EPISODE - HEY ANTHONY, I GOT NO RESERVATION! I GOT NO RESTAURANT! 


START - SKOOKUM CAMPGROUND, WA
FINISH - BOX CANYON, WA
TODAY - 70kms
TTD - 662kms



I had a great night camping and was on the road by seven. With just my can of coffee(I'm going to do a whole post on canned caffeine) some PB &J and a few left over crumbs, my reward for the next sixty or so kilometers was going to be breakfast in Ione. Normally I plan on carbs during the day, proteins for recovery at night. I was already planning on both, plus more caffeine, some sugars,..... and anything in the Grand Slam category. It was Sunday and I haven't had a  decent sit down meal in awhile.
After a fairly leisurely ride into Ione,  I found most of the town, and there wasn't much to start, closed. There was always the gas station, but at this time anything that has an expiry date of 2013, no thanks

After the camping I had booked a motel, about 10kms out of town. I thought that I will do this right, and get to my room, then breakfast. In this part of the world(this place has canyon in it's address), it's taking me over 1/2 hour to ride that, which is fine. Which was not fine was the motel was there and NOTHING else. At check in I was told not to worry. There was another town 10kms up the road. One hour plus coming and going. The heat was coming on so no thanks. Good chance to clean out my panniers. Hit the pop machine and, OH!, WestJet biscuits.



Morning moon.
Log goes in one end, steam up the middle, 2X4 comes out the other end.



This herd of bison was in the middle of an Indian reservation. On the other side of the river appeared
to be a rather large Pow-Wow.


  Hey, I live close to Buffalo.





The whole ride had a lazy Sunday morning feel to it. Very quiet.


Some sort of "Rockhenge"
I haven't been riding great distances per day. I have more in my legs on a daily basis.  My destination is Hornby Island, off Vancouver Island in the Straight of Georgia. There I will visit my brother John and Carol. I have booked August for this whole exercise, and now finding that I will have plenty of time for everything. Even taking my time along the Pacific. The heat is also a factor. The other dictating issue is the logistical spacing of towns and centers that offer lodging and services. Deciding to hit the next campground, room or restaurant could be considerably further up down the road. 
Have been following the Pend Oreille River for a while.
This is logging country.



Sunday morning or not, this place did not have a lot going for it.

And I've got such a long way to go
To make it to a restaurant of Mexico
So I'll ride like the wind
Ride like the wind


COMING SOON - FINDING FOOD and MY FIRST OF FIVE MOUNTAIN PASSES.

No comments:

Post a Comment