YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Monday 6 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER - DAY SEVEN - SANDPOINT, IDAHO to (short of) IONE, WA.

AUGUST 4, 2012
TODAY'S EPISODE - STAYING AT THE FOUR SEASONS.

START- SANDPOINT, IDAHO
FINISH - SKOOKUM CAMPGROUND, USK, WASHINGTON
TODAY - 83kms
TTD - 592kms



This includes my following day ride.

All day while I was riding, I keep telling myself that tonight you will stay at the “Four Seasons”. Not the fabulously appointed hotel property on Cumberland, in the Yorkville district of Toronto. Not the one that if you are in town for TIFF, you send the concierge on some 04:00hrs scramble across the GTA to get that one,……., because you can.
Not that Four Seasons. But the campground one. Where if you stay long enough, you will experience summer, fall, winter and spring.

Beautiful rolling valleys.

For a couple of bucks, helped the local fire
department and got the latest on wildfires.
Again not much up here in northern Idaho.
 Further south, upwards of thirty out of
control.
Cowsquito?

Rode a lot of this today. Beautiful rolling valleys. Very little traffic.
I don't know much about the birds, let lone the plural. Osprey.
Weather forecasts are the same and grim. HOT and DRY.

When I had goats, I became a quick study of hay. Here's a couple:
HAY, HOW YOU DO'IN? 
HAY, WHAT'S THE PHRASE THAT PAYS?


After having chickens, I had to take this quick pic. Had to abandon our poultry project after a fox got the best of our free range feathered friends. FOX! In a matter of miles, I was thinking, "it was the best of times, it was the worst of......"

Endless ranches. This is horse country.
SHADE, SHADE, SHADE, SHADE...........

This fellow was course marking for 250 members of the Cascade Bicycle Club
that were to come through the next day. 



The sweet smell of cedar.













Hang onto her captain.


 ......and still rising.

Having taken backroads, not much fanfare at the Washington State border, other than for my man, 
Davey T.

 I have passed into Washington State after only two nights in Idaho. The panhandle.  What awaits me after tomorrow are five days in row that I will pass over five mountain passes. They all have noticeable climbs. I am placing two of them in my personal “hors categorie”. I am now like the balloonist who is heading straight towards the WKRP radio tower. Jettison, jettison, jettison as MUCH excess weight as I can. I have been on the road now for a week. Getting into a grove and knowing what I need and not. Even thinking of small things like postage stamps. As if I was going to write postcards! I had a stamp made up. For everyone “Having a great time. Miss you the most!”

At the campground soon.


COMING VERY SOON: THE CAMPING LIFE.


No comments:

Post a Comment