YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Thursday 2 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER - DAY FOUR- EUREKA to LIBBY, MONTANA, USA

AUGUST 1, 2012
TODAY'S EPISODE- MARTY,  WHAT THE HELL IS A JIGGAWATT ANYHOW?

START- EUREKA, MT
END- LIBBY, MT
TODAY- 112kms
TTD- 442kms
SADDLE TIME: 6hrs, 15min.
COMMENT du jour- "BICYCLES WERE MADE TO FALL OFF"




This section of road had everything. One of my greatest days of riding. Pretty safe to say it averaged 50 kilometers up, 60 kilometers down. A real challenge. Spectacular scenery. Excellent, quiet, road.
Take a look.



This one hundred mile lake was the result of the creation of the Libby Dam.
 For the fifty miles that I skirted this lake, other than beautiful scenery, there was absolutely nothing on either side. I studied the map and this bridge goes to a road skirting pretty much nothing.

 Any country side where Lodge Pole and Ponderosa Pine grow, is my kind of countryside. They need elevation. Mountain country.

Nicest bridge I've never took.
I thought they did some serious blasting on the 69 to Sudbury.

"Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it 
                                                                         You take the rock drill  and some  TNT" 





Can I borrow a couple of bucks?




 Old time memories. When I toured Newfoundland and Labrador, I gauged my progress by burn-outs per kilometre.
This specific one would get a poor rating. Very little mounding of rubber.
This Iowa school teacher was one of the first of my kind that I spoke with. He was heading in the opposite direction. He had ridin this specific section of road before, and with agreement, claims it to be one of the best all-round great rides. On top of the great scenery, good road, for over sixty miles, there would maybe one vehicle every twenty or so minutes. This guy said that he has been bicycle touring every summer for 33 years. Check out his bike Friday. He was a nice guy.


Almost in Libby. Kootenai River.

                      It peaked out at 94F.
Make what you will.


No comments:

Post a Comment