YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Wednesday 15 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER, WINTHROP, WASHINGTON, USA - DAY SIXTEEN - THERE'S GOLD, and then......

AUGUST 13, 2012

TODAY'S EPISODE - PART of AMERICA BY CYCLE.

START- TWISP, WA
FINISH - LONE FIR CAMPGROUND, OKANAGAN NATIONAL FOREST
TODAY - 60kms
TTD - 1066kms


View Larger Map


My goal today is to head towards and partially up Washington Pass. This will be my fifth pass in the state and including Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park, the second most difficult climb of my trip. Sherman Pass being the one that’s burned into parts of my body, mind and soul as the most difficult.

Down the road from Twisp, I have been hearing of Winthrop, supposedly a fun holdover from the western mining days. I've always like gold. Not the metal itself, but where they find the stuff. Usually in some pain in the ass wilderness place. As many of these small places that I have passed through, today mine the pockets of us modern day treasure hunters. I don’t think they had Espresso bars at each corner of these shanty towns. I find some of these java shacks excessive. Excessively good!
Winthrop turned out to be one of the nicest places I’ve never stayed. The first thing I liked about it is for such a cool spot, I’ve never heard of it before.

I sometimes judge places by the vehicles parked in or that pass through it. This had a nice mix of Subarus, old ones. (sports)(even better, lots of sport roof racks). Original pick up trucks (Locals) Bicycles (road, mountain, cruisers, and of course the odd touring) Not a lot, but some high end sport cars. (The roads around here call for them. Far from some guy in a 911 stuck in traffic at King and Bay) Motorcycles (modern day vagabonds on big touring machines along with the missiles of death).
I deemed the mix good.
I was sorry to leave but had some climbing to do.


 Winthrop, Washington, U.S.A.



Mining some serious baking. 




This guy was the legit garbage and recycling pick up.


I love boardwalks.


If the campground I was heading to was full, I won't have any problem riding back over hill and dale 35kms to here. The cabins along the river look exquisite.



No comments:

Post a Comment