YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Wednesday 22 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER, ANACORTES, WASHINGTON, DECEPTION PASS - DAY TWENTY - MILE ZERO.

AUGUST 17, 2012

..... or is it kilometer 1334?

ANACORTES, WA

The route that I have been following is much travelled via the routing of Adventure Cycling's Northern Tier maps. For those crossing the U.S.A to Bar Harbour, Maine, this is mile "zero". The tradition is to dip the rear wheel in the Pacific. If you have the good fortune of making it to the right coast, the front wheel in the Atlantic.
I have no ambition of crossing or dipping anything. Plus where it looked like I could, half of the debris from Japan's tsunami was floating by.



Some things don't work out the way you plan. I arrived in Anacortes after a relatively quick ride. Set my camp up in a local park and then I thought, after leaving most of my stuff behind, I will go for a leisurely sightseeing ride. Like many coastal places, the 45kms that I rode were the @#$%^^ hilliest, STEEPEST 45kms of my whole trip.
At home my cardio could never keep up with my legs. Now after my three week spinning class, in my amazement I am able to carry on a lengthy conversation with myself going up the most reasonable hill.
Here I was sucking air like a fish pulled into a boat. Where's the bonker?

Here I visit Deception Pass.


I have always been a big fan of Douglas Fir. Not as casual as Cedar. Not as stuffy as oak. Most every wood detail in our Effingham home is D. Fir. 


 One of the local service clubs was having a street BBQ. Perfect celebration for my arrival. Outside on a beautiful night. Meet some locals. And SALMON.


 YUM!





With my scheduled passage to the San Juans tomorrow, tonight I hope to dream of ferries.

America! America! The trumpets sound of the free, 
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!


No comments:

Post a Comment