YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Friday 10 August 2012

CYLING THE NORTHERN TIER - KETTLE FALLS TO REPUBLIC, WA., DAY ELEVEN - SHERMAN PASS SCENIC BYWAY


AUGUST 8, 2012

THIS EPISODE - MY STAIRWAY TO HELL AND HEAVEN.

START- KETTLE FALLS, WA
FINISH - SWEAT CREEK CAMPGROUND, REPUBLIC, WA
TODAY - 82kms
TTD - 842kms
SADDLE TIME- 06hrs, 06mins.


View Larger Map

Relation | Bookmark | Edit |  | Report | Link

Click here for a larger version of the picture
Profile looks like RIM stock. Actually looks better.

Years ago I ran a marathon. My goal was 4:00hrs. Almost made it by 11minutes.
Today I started by riding the same distance, 42kms, in almost the same time. What will make this one of the most memorable days in my life is that it was ALL uphill. A 4,350ft elevation gain.
In the studying of my trip as a whole, I made note of the the Sherman Pass, but would deal with it when the time comes. I have gathered a lot of information for and during my trip from people's journals posted on www.crazyguyonabike.com. There you will find in any given hour up to twenty or thirty updates from people bicycle touring throughout the world.
When the majority of the reports saying that the first 28kms(5%-6% grade) are not to bad, it gets your attention. When the consensus say that the final 12kms(6%-8% grade) are tough, I begin to wonder.
It turned out to be the most physically challenging day of my life. Like similar scenarios, also one of my most rewarding.
My bike is still probably overweight, but I am still here to write about. With the heat, I took lots of fluids, as in many places that I have ridin through, this was one  section with no services.
I might now run a marathon just for fun.

 Knowing what lay ahead, left at 05:30hrs, just as a brief shower was passing. 




 After a couple of kilometers out of Kettle Falls, I hit my bottom (with the way I was feeling, my rock bottom should have been at the top) at the Columbia River. One hundred meters on the other side, up.














You can only take so many pictures going up, down, ..... Just multiply this one by ????


There's a story here but I don't want to lose focus on all the pain and suffering I put myself through.
My guess is this guy tried and took the easy option out.

There are some days I am quite attentive to my odometer. Here not much so. This morning I realized I had a good three hours plus of grunting. When I reached here, I optimistically thought I'm getting there as I had been in what was for me the tough zone already for a while. Not even close. Over one hour still to go.
Had a nice chat and shared some chocolate. Did not hold any resentments.
My mantra has been that the day I spin in a granny gear like some mountain biker, I'm packing it in.
Here I was looking for my tallest set one half hour into the ride.
 My style, within reason, of riding is in most cases the less I stop the better. Get it done and over with.
Towards the top I was not riding my style. Here I saw the sweetest sign of all. 
WARNING: DOWNHILL AHEAD.

 Highest spot (drivable) in the state of Washington

An Olympic effort. Gold, silver and a couple of bronzes.
Spent four hours trying to decide which MASH did I like better. Sherman Potter or Henry Blake. Still didn't decide. How about Diane or Rebecca? Coach or Woody?....................?......................?..................?......


Heading down.
Remnants of fire.
What took four hours to climb, took me one hour to descend.

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all is one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.

And she's buying a stairway to heaven.


COMING SOON - MORE DAY ELEVEN. MORE CLIMBING. THE HEAT IS ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment