YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Thursday 2 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER DAY FIVE- LIBBY MONTANA to CLARK FORK, IDAHO

AUGUST 2, 2012

START- LIBBY, MT
FINISH- CLARK FORK, IDAHO
TODAY - 113kms
TTD - 455KMS
SADDLE TIME - 6hrs 10mins


View Larger Map

 This includes my travels tomorrow to Sandpoint, Idaho

“Going were many have boldly gone before”
I am staring to ride into some fitness.  Here I do not plan my days by distance. I have been using three or four blogs from people who had travelled the route I have chosen.  Its saddle time that get’s my attention. With the dramatic elevation changes, my distances covered by back home standards are thrown out. I can, with a group, bang of 100kms in 4hrs. Here, with my loaded bike (I’m still looking for some open truck weigh scale. Probably good thing I don’t know) and all, I’m averaging 17, 18 or possibly 19kms/hr. Here I have been covering 100kms in 6+ hrs (actual saddle time). With a lot more guts, and some glory. 

Headed out under the full moon around 06:00hrs.


I have to admit that I have been enjoying my motel rooms. When I rode into Libby yesterday the heat was just cranking. Peaked around 95F. I don’t have too much of a problem riding in it, but it’s when I stop. I radiate, and it’s not like the Chernobyl or expectant mother glow. When the daily highs are usually around 5 or 6pm, and relief isn’t noticeable till 8 or 9pm, I find a room and hunker down. Being off the main tourist grid, they are surprisingly inexpensive. In between getting some eats, supplies and a little touristing, have been watching the Olympics. NBC, but that’s OK till that sports know-it-all Ryan Seacrest comes on to analyze who knows what, I flick.



I love any river, stream, creek, ... thats flowing in
the same direction I'm going.


Umm. Forest Rd. Wonder where it goes?
                                                                                         Ground Beef


I have seen deer by the dozens. Mostly alive. Quite often it comes down to a stare off. Like some hoodlum from the back alleys, there smart to the point that when I go to reach in my pocket, to take a shot, they are gone. 
I today had an encounter with another animal. Since my mother is my #1 blog reader, some things are best not written till I am safely buckled in and heading back to YYZ.  

I have been since I've started looking for Joe. At least I've found Little Joe.
Breakfast. Blah,blah,blah, STARBUCKS DOUBLE ESPRESSO SHOT!

I have seen a few of these. They are in the middle of nowhere. Theres no place to turn left or enter
Lovin the clouds

Can't believe I'm leaving Montana today. Left it to the last minute, but found where the Unabomber lived. Wait. The sign says Bob Amernou. Did not find a Montana's Cookhouse. Had a coupon.

For such a short notice, my bike is fine. But oh boy do I miss my Campy-on–the-brake shifters. If there ever was a place to utilize this component, it’s here. I’m on those Shimano shifters like Smoky and the Bandit. Grinding through the gears like those old Glacier Park buses.

I’ve been fortunate that it seems like my travel plans will go uninterrupted. Just in Idaho alone, there are over twenty-five wildfires out of control. The nation wide drought and heat wave has even hit this area. In this part of the country, detours are measured in days. To me as a cyclist, very serious cab fare.


It was last summer that on a Niagara Freewheeler’s ride that I chatted with John S. about my interest in doing a self-supported tour. He spoke of the Adventure Cycling Association. A not for profit organization that’s primary mandate is to support and promote travelling by bicycle. That night I joined. The ACA has numerous proven and mapped routes across the USA and Canada. It is the western portion of the Northern Tier (across USA) route that I am following. Thanks John.


Oh ya, I’m getting big legs, but my butt. I read that one of the latest cosmetic surgeries is to have some relocation to the booty. I could use some extra lovin down there. With my Gone bike, I was introduced to the Brooks saddle. A company from England that has been making hand crafted seat for 100yrs(I think). The B-17 is the touring person’s way to go. When mine went gone, I just said to the H with it and took my Selle Italia from my GURU. Good idea then. Today????


They spray painted the state line on the road. I for a while jumped back and forth going,
it's 12 o'clock, it's 1 o'clock, it's 12 o'clock, it's 1 o'clock.........



Will not be in Idaho for long. Have to make sure I hit a Wendy's and get a baked potatoe. 

Downtown CF


If I leave here tomorrow
Would you still remember me?
For I must be traveling on, now
'Cause there's too many places
I've got to see

No comments:

Post a Comment