YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Wednesday 8 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER, SASQUATCH, BIG FOOT, YETI - DAY - SAD


I ride now and with every kilometer that passes I grow a little despondent. I quietly realize that the chance of one of my trips primary objectives is slipping away.


I have wanted this trip to be an adventure and challenge to myself. That it is turning into. I knew that I would have to call upon myself like few times before. I did a solo hike in the high Arctic on Baffin Island when I was younger. Pulled that off by just being young and naive.

Today I am dragging my body and belongings beneath the stars and along the stripes and I am still able to smile at the end of the day. Pulling this one off by being older and starting to forget some of the important lessons in life that steer one from possible misfortunes.


It's my enjoyment of photography that I was hoping would give me my one moment the would surpass all others. This country and weather affords one to take great shots.



But what is slipping away is the chance of the one photo that I was determined to get.

SASQUATCH.  
You may seem this folly, but it’s not the standard photo that I was after.
I have to think that over the years, the big footed one must have nipped someone’s camera.

I am fixated on taking a picture of Sasquatch taking a picture of me.



                                                                                                              Photo credit - Mike Chuck James



Like so many things in life, I am determined not to let the “lack of” Big Foot overshadow what is turning out to be an amazing trip

I sadly look back at a similar situation when we trekked in Nepal last year. Our trip, including our guide Tika, was a peak experience.
Tika first shared with us what paying clients expected. Then came the heartfelt exchange of stories, as if  he was a long lost brother to Hyla and Nicola. He endlessly extended his hand and heart to Kate and I.
Much more can be written on how we continue to stay in touch and possibly will one day exchange our good fortunes with his family.
It was after Tika’s endless explanations of his culture and beliefs that left me stunned with his disclosure that Yeti’s don’t exist. These people believed in, had holidays for, everything! What slipped through those cracks fell nicely into the “Karma” category.
After hours of international negotiations, I succumbed not to Yeti’s not existing, but that our beloved guide needs to watch more TV.

Nicola and Tika sharing a little Velo humour.
Spent one hour explaining to these people that anyone with a shoe size over 10-1/2
 is not the"BigFoot". It did not help that they did not speak English and I no Japanese.
This lady responded in the international language of laughing at me.


I  identified this flying object as a UFO.

No comments:

Post a Comment