YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Sunday 19 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER, COLONIAL CREEK CAMPGROUND, WASHINGTON, NORTH CASCADES NATIONAL PARK, MARBLEMONT, WA., DAY EIGHTEEN - AM I OVER THE HILL?


AUGUST 15, 2012

START - COLONIAL CREEK CAMPGROUND, NORTH CASCADE NATIONAL PARK, WA.
FINISH - MARBLEMOUNT, WA
TODAY - 44kms
TTD - 1178kms


View Larger Map

I will now drop through the Skagit River Canyon. North Cascade National Park is home to more glaciers than anywhere else in continental U.S.A. It's the glacial till and some volcanic residue that give all the lakes and rivers their amazing colour.


Just as I was leaving my camp, I had a sow(bear) and her cub cross the road ahead of me. The night previous I listened to what I find as the most wild of all calls. Wolves, which have been reintroduced to the park.


These people seemed to be having a good time. Reminded me of the popular saying:
"People will automatically smile for pictures when photographers develop a flash that emits not only a sudden burst of light, but also the sound of Barbra Streisand being mauled by a bear."








Along my whole route, there have been places that make special efforts to accommodate and encourage the safety and enjoyment of cyclists. 


I took this photo in the celebration of
SHADE. By the time I got to
Marblemount, it was in the mid 90's.



This river had been dammed multiple times years ago and now provide Seattle with much of it's electricity.

After two nights of camping, I booked a room for
the night. Not this one.

Sad, but leaving.

Even though the road maintained a gentle downward grade, at times it kicked up enough to make a cyclists wonder. It was at these times that the river seemed like a tongue sticking out at me. HA HA!

It has also been during my whole trip that I have ridden a hundred magnetic hills. With the horizon constantly changing, I have flown down pitches that seem undoubtedly up and vice verses.

I have also over the trip have become a study of the grades of hills. (no shortage of practice here)(generally a bad habit to get into. Loose loose argument) 
6%?,5%?, Cliffton Hill%?, CN Tower%?, @#$*^%?.

COMING SOON - FINISHING UP THE MIRACLE MILES.


No comments:

Post a Comment