YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Thursday 9 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER, COLVILLE, WASHINGTON - DAY NINE - BOX CANYON to COLVILLE, WA

AUGUST 6, 2012

START - BOX CANYON DAM, WA
FINISH - COLVILLE, WA
TODAY - 75kms
TTD - 737kms


View Larger Map


 I have done as much as I could here. Washed, watch Olympics, not go on-line, watch TV, not eat, watch TV and sleep. Got a 05:30 start hoping to beat some heat and that in my backtracking there would be something open this early in Ione so I can fuel up for my morning ride. Luckily the gas station was, otherwise I would not find anything for 35 miles beyond that.






Today would be the first of five passes that I will cross in order to get to the Pacific. This one was a pleasant introduction and more so on a beautiful morning. A moderate gain compared to what lies ahead. More importantly a great downhill.








There are times when I'm climbing, maybe at 10kph, I just put my head down, occasionally check the couple of meters in front of me and let the pavement pass. During my travels with Kate, and on my own, there have been many areas where being on bear watch is a good idea. Not just Black Bears, but in many places here Grizzlys. Much to surprise, I once looked up, and right beside was this black animal. Hello. Have the big ring ready for the other.




 I have now picked up the Washington State 20 which will pretty much take me to the Pacific. 390 miles, with some slight diversions.



Made Colville in good time. They even have proper restaurants. Going to get that breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment