YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Monday 6 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER, SKOOKUM CREEK CAMPGROUND AND PICNIC SITE, WASHINGTON - DAY SEVEN

AUGUST 4, 2012
TONIGHT'S EPISODE - TRYING NOT TO APPEAR HOMELESS.


I have been feeling bad that I haven’t been camping more, but with the heat, and some of the locales, it is just the way it is. One thing around here is the days have been hot, but the nights dip close to single digits. With another wave of heat coming, I toughed it out today, and have set up camp. As I write, 18:00hrs, my shady spot is slowly bringing relief. I know that in a couple of hours, I will be so glad that I’m tenting.  Take a look at the photos. A classic State Campground. High on nature. Low on the shazzizal. Tonight will also be a favorite. With no rain forecasted, I will be in a “No Fly Zone”. Fall asleep looking at the stars.


I even feel worse that I’m dragging around all my tenting. Clothes wise, I don’t spend a lot of time figuring out what to wear. I have a day, après ride and sleep ensemble. Good thing I’m on the move. I won’t embarrass myself when the dinner bell rings and I’m seated with the previous night’s party. I prepared for, now definitely not, the cold and the odd flake of snow on the Washington State passes.





I had a late lunch, and wasn't in the shopping mode before I set out
for here. Can you imagine my horror when I was setting dinner out
and found the cookies to be hard baked. Should I go 40kms back
for soft and chewy.?
Camp hosts. Bruce and Jenny. Didn't get the dog and cats name. Wish I took a photo of their camp.
Had a great talk with them. Bruce use to run ultra-marathons. Said one day he ran 113 miles. I don't do that on my bike. He actually had the" Possum Van II"

The extent of services.
Plus pit toilets.
Free camping for cyclists.


I never really wanted to RV, primary because of where you end up most
times at the end of the day. A WalMart parking lot or some RV park,
where your view is the movie the guy next to you is watching. Here I could do
nature with a little satellite TV. These state parks have no services. This one
had only seven sites and it was not full.
MSR Hubba Bubba II. Thanks Hyla for the sleep pad. Did I tell you I
was taking it?
Quite surprised that it wasn't buggy? Quite happy it wasn't bear-y!
Beautiful pavilion. Would almost wish for rain.

Room with a view. AH!!! My bike. Bad Dream?
No fly zone. 

Sometime during the night. Just past full moon.

It is the night
My body's weak
I'm on the run
No time to sleep
I've got to ride
Ride like the wind
To be free again











No comments:

Post a Comment