YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Saturday 11 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER - REPUBLIC TO OMAK, WA, TONASKET, WAUCONDA PASS - DAY TEWLVE - THE BIGGEST LOSER

AUGUST 9, 2012
TODAY'S EPISODE - GOING DOWN THE ROAD.

START- SWEAT CREEK PICNIC GROUNDS, REPUBLIC, WA
FINISH - OMAK, WA
TODAY - 95kms
TTD - 937kms


View Larger Map


Relation | Bookmark | Edit |  | Report | Link

When I was planning my trip months ago, my instinctive concern with traveling east to west were the winds. At home I inherently head west and then at will turn around and catch the predominately west winds for home. Here I've been fortunate and if anything, have been catching the odd tailwind.

When I was in business, the term " net loss" was not good. Here I'm playing the accountant's spin and to this shareholder, I'm buying anything that's going short.
Not this simple, but a ways back I stood at the Continental Divide. Some 6,600 ft above sea level. If I play my cards in the spokes right, I will soon be at sea level. Add and subtract a few feet in between, I'm happy to be a 'Loser"
Today was one of those days if you a cyclist you dream about. (the good type) After cresting Wauconda Pass, it was almost all downhill for 45kms.

I said it quietly, but it was almost cold when I broke camp.
Early morning reward, MORE CLIMBING.

Later morning reward, ALL DOWNHILL!


Hay! Who? You! Me? Forget about it.



It got better and better.


Tonasket. A little oasis. I think I see a mirage, no, it's a Chevron station. Filler up. Diet coke please.
After my camp over, I did have a great breakfast.

Unless irrigated, these valleys are rather parched. Strange place to grow apples.
Jim from Connecticut was pretty much doing the opposite of me.
Heading east. Poor bastard. Net gain.
Don't mind if I do.

Cos the wind was my mother,

The highway is my brother.

I was born to wander,

And it's time for movin' on.


COMING SOON - RIDING INTO OMAK, PARDNER. 






No comments:

Post a Comment