YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Friday 17 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER - DAY SEVENTEEN - NORTH CASCADES SCENIC HIGHWAY, RAINY PASS, WASHINGTON, USA

AUGUST 14, 2012

This part of the Okanogan National Forest and the North Cascade National Park have turned into not only my favourite part of the trip, but one of the nicest places I've been to.
I will ride well over one hundred kilometers in absolutely spectacular scenery. There is such a wildness to it. Even from the roadside.

What I have liked about my trip is the remoteness of the route, and this area reflects that very much. Many national parks that we have travelled to have become so busy that that they have taken on a circus air to them. Here on top of the excellent roads, there was very little traffic. As posted on a earlier sign, no services for over 140 kms. Tough ride for the credit card tourer. Very little development.

Along the climb is a  collection of "postcard" scenery with soaring, snow dotted jagged mountains.
It's a place where PBS documentaries are made of.
These mountains are laced with narrow waterfalls, rock formations and slide chutes as the routes snakes along the cliff edge among the lodge pole pines. Rushing creeks bubble along as the gullies drop below. Fantastic views in every direction.

After I topped Washington Pass I descended till I climbed and summited Rainy Pass. Lower than Washington, it signaled that my climbs of note are over.








Now gravity rules and I will slowly plunge to the coast.

COMING SOON - ON TO COLONIAL CREEK CAMPGROUND.

No comments:

Post a Comment