YOUR NIAGARA PAUL

Saturday 11 August 2012

CYCLING THE NORTHERN TIER - DAY ELEVEN - REPUBLIC, WASHINGTON and how appropriate, SWEAT CREEK.

JULY 8, 2012

After my five hour assault on the Sherman Pass, I rolled into Republic, WA.
I pretty much committed myself to camping this night. My problem was that I was feeling slightly exerted, it was only 13:00hrs and when I stopped in the middle of town all proud of myself, the trusty ACE Hardware sign was showing 93F. Only seven more hours before even some slight relief.
It was more for the AC that I duck into Taco Paco's. What else would you want on a blistering day than  a big load enchiladas for lunch. After surviving that, I headed for what could to be the tourist cyclist's best friend, the local library.
Here I sat quietly, chatted with the local kids killing a hot afternoon, picked up some WI-FI  and kept cool.

My best guess was that the campground I would be shooting for was one hour out of town. Late afternoon I hit the grocery store. I always plan to be fully self sufficient for my camp stays. Some sites will not have potable water. Picking up fluids, fluids, fluids and some snack supper goods, I headed out of Republic.
My reward for surviving Shermam Pass earlier, was another one hour of climbing to my night's stay.
The start of Wauconda Pass. My third bump to the Pacific.
Hot, legs hurting, having had enough, slow kilometer by ......., pushing on by repeating, "what I do today, I won't have to do tomorrow" for an hour, I reached my end of the road.
Not exactly what I was expecting, but I don't need much, especially at this point of the day.
What's some adventure cycling without some adventure camping.
The sun is dipping down. My dreams will be of Polka Dots. I declare my self the King of the Mountain (for now).

 Didn't feel like I missed to much by not staying in Republic. Could get me to be a library goer again.

I am so far north that almost anywhere if I was 
to turn right I'd be back on O Canada.
Riding out of Republic.
Looking back. Don't
need any more large pictures
of going uphill.


Sweat Creek camping. There was a creek. I was sweating.
What I have always like about the Lodgepole and Ponderosa Pines are that
they do quite well standing alone. A hillside can be spotted with trees so
"you can see the forest for the trees"


Have to put my Speedos away for awhile.


 So take the photographs and still frames in your mind 
Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time 
Tattoos and memories and dead skin on trial 
For what it's worth it was worth all the while



COMING SOON- RIDING TO THE RODEO.

No comments:

Post a Comment